Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Mysterious Baby Booth

The home owners returned today after serving an 18-month mission in Frankfurt, Germany. In preparation for their arrival, we've been working overtime cleaning, mowing, weeding and doing every other miserable task associated with keeping a home. I'm pleased to say the cleaning is DONE! I just hope they're pleased with it. We should hear from them once they've had a chance to settle back in.

Earlier in the week I decided to give-in to my curiosity and paid to get a 3D ultrasound from my doctor's office. I'm just over 32 weeks which gave me a 50/50 chance of getting any shots at all. They like to do the 3D ultrasounds when you are between 28-32 weeks - before the baby gets too big and moves into the head down position. In spite of baby's efforts to shield his face the tech was able to get a few pics . I'm having issues pulling the images from the disk, so you'll have to settle for these. I'll try to post more later when I have more time to fuss with them...

I kind of freaked when I saw this 2D image - baby has some serious lips going on.


Here are the 3D. They're crummy quality since I had to take a picture of a picture... but you get the idea. There's definitely a baby in there. I just don't know who he looks like... or where those lips came from.




When they did the ultrasound they said the baby was breech. I'm hoping he'll get himself turned around and into the head down position over the next 8 weeks. He is very active these days. Things are getting less comfortable everyday - especially when he's pushing against my ribs or out against my stomach. I'm convinced one of these days he's going to break through and I'll see a little baby hand waving at me... or worse, he'll eat his way through with that huge mouth of his!

In other news, we started our prenatal class this evening. It's a fun class and the teacher has a great sense of humor. It was helpful for both of us to learn more about labor and delivery. Obviously the idea of it all still terrifies me, but it's nice to know what's in store. I had made up my mind before, but the class pretty much solidified my decision - I am definitely pro-epidural. This is one scenario where "no pain, no gain" does not apply. The drugs were invented for a reason and I intend on taking full advantage of them. End of story.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey there! 8 weeks is plenty of time for a baby to turn. If you're worried, though, there are things you can do to encourage him to flip ... they're all pretty much online if you google "turn breech baby".

Hope you're keeping as cool and comfortable as you can!

Melissa said...

How cute!! I love his little lips!! They are perfect!! I can't believe you only have 8 weeks left!! That is crazy!! I hope it goes by fast!! :)

Rach said...

I have a lot of respect for women that go natural, but I am always left thinking: "WHY?".

My epidural with Lily didnt work so I felt it all...hopeing this one will, cause honestly, if you dont have to feel that pain then DONT.

Most 3D pictures I have seen have been more scary than anything but I can honestly say your baby actually looks cute! impressive.

Maren O_o said...

K!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss you!

We are surviving the heat- barely...

I will call you tomorrow. love you!

Maren :

Kathy M. said...

I'm wondering if one of the exercises to turn a breech baby is to stand on your head? ;-)

When Karen was being stubborn about the position she got into that slowed labor, the wise nurse had me flip over onto my left side... I usually was on the right. Within ten minutes Karen had turned over. Knowing how she sleeps now... I wonder if she was trying to be on her back. ;-) (Although it was too cramped to be sleeping in the casket pose.)

Liz said...

bring on the drugs!

Stephanie said...

I recommend any drugs you can get your hands on.. of course my children never wanted to be delivered so we had to go in and get them so drug were required!! I can't believe we only have 8 weeks left! can't wait to meet the little man!