Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Love of Bread


The most fantastic Christmas gift arrived today - a bread machine!
Thank you, Mom and Dad. I made my first loaf this evening - white Italian Herb. Aside from being shaped a little funky, it tastes great and made the house smell amazing in the process. Here are a few pics of "Slopey". (Yes, I named the loaf. Is there a problem with that?)


There are so many recipes I want to try; it could take me years to bake them all. Then there's the dough setting, which adds a whole other element. #1 on that list would be cinnamon rolls which will be happening very soon. The only problem is, what to do with all of this bread?? I may just have to host a bread party. Done.

6 comments:

Kathy M. said...

That'll make some pretty TALL sandwiches! :-)

For some reason your updates don't show up on my list right away. Not sure why. I came over just to follow up on comments and lo and behold... the bread photos were up. :-)

I'm up late after baking rolls tonight. Once they are cool enough to bag up I'm heading for bed.

Glad you enjoyed the baked bread smell... we both had that going on this evening. What is it about that aroma that is so appealing? :-)

Anonymous said...

I remember when I got my bread machine, I made fresh bread ALL the time, and then I got bored! I don't think I have used that thing in about a year, but reading your post has been making me think about that WONDERFUL smell...ahhh....I think I might have to pull it out and make a loaf of bread! Do you remember in 4th grade when we made the loaves of bread and fresh butter to go with them? So yummy!!

The Miller's said...

Looking at those photos I almost thought I had smellovision because I swear I could smell fresh bread!

Kathy M. said...

I had a similar experience awhile back while looking at a newborn baby photo rather intently... I even felt the warmth of the infant on my nose... as well as that clean, sweet, newborn smell.

I hope you enjoyed the bread smell. :-) It was nice last night in our house. Tonight I made candy and became distracted during the early stage and totally burned 2 cups of sugar and a cup of corn syrup. That had to be dumped and fortunately, I still had enough corn syrup on hand to get it done! That's what I get for calling an old friend on her birthday (Daphne). :-)

Jack said...

when i used mine the bread was only 3 inches tall and tasted a whole lot like salt. fast rising yeast, regular yeast...tsp, tbs...whats the big deal?

The Jensen Family said...

So fun to hear from you. I have been meaning to visit since I saw your comment. I am glad to see you and Alex are happy and doing well in Utah. Yes, we did move, but we are enjoying Oregon.
Have a wonderful Christmas!
Natalie