
Once again we find ourselves in the middle of a cat dilemma, only this time it doesn't involve our own cat. For the past year we've been cat sitting "Smokey Joe" for the home owner's daughter. Over time he's really taken to us. He often brings us little gifts, sleeps at the foot of our bed and keeps us company while we're getting ready in the morning. He is a great cat. These last couple weeks the daughter has been staying with us. We don't see her much, but last night she came up and informed us that her parent's had sent her a "nice" e-mail. In short, the cat needs to be gone when they get back (end of July) or they will get rid of him, and most likely in a way that won't make her happy. She went on to say that she understood we couldn't take him (Wymount doesn't allow ANY pets, not even goldfish) and asked if we knew of anyone else that might want a cat. We don't, but if any of you do, let us know. We have a kitty that desperately needs a home.
That said - this situation totally annoys me.
You know when you anticipate something, but avoid worrying about it because it's not your problem? Or because you don't want to make it your problem... this is one of those things. When the daughter was here last October I asked her what was going to happen to Smokey Joe once her parent's came home. I didn't know whether they planned on keeping him or if they hoped we might take him. Either way, she didn't know. She was saddened at the idea of them giving him away, but didn't seem to have a plan for him herself. Really, she would have liked to have him with her, but she was living in California, unemployed and not able to have pets where she was living. 7 months later ... nothing has changed. And now there are some pretty harsh consequences if something doesn't change soon. I feel like I'm the only one worried about it and I hate it.
Everything else I have to say about this situation is unproductive. Bottom line: I don't like it when people shirk their responsibilities. I really don't like it when they try to make it my responsibility. I have a hard time saying "no", even when I should. And I have a really hard time not worrying about something once someone has made me aware of it, especially when it involves putting a cat to sleep without good reason.
2 comments:
In another life with a birdless house... I'd consider taking him... so it's frustrating to me also. He's such a nice kitty. Anyone on the Bellingham end a prospect? What's so sad is that he's very attached to you both.
Any of the family in I.F. area? I didn't think about them. Maybe Karen could put out some feelers with the cousins?
It makes me feel awful, too. He is a good cat, he doesn't deserve to die just because the parents don't want to have to have him around. He's still a living creature! (One ought to remind them he's one of God's creatures as well, not to mention our role to take care of all creatures of the earth...)
I hope you're able to find a home for him. If it comes down to it, there is that no-kill shelter up in Rexburg I did a story on. He'd at least have other cats around, and people who are cat lovers to give him love and attention.. Might be worth seeing if there's anything in Utah like that, if worse comes to worse and you can't find anyone to take him in.
Post a Comment