Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day and The Dancing Kung Fu Master


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!


This is my first Mother's Day on the other side. Technically I'm not a Mom yet, but most people don't seem to get caught up on the technicality. It's like I've been inducted into some kind of secret society. The Mommy Club. The fact that it involves being appreciated, getting gifts, and having a day off with lots of time to nap (guilt-free), I'm totally okay with it. Most of our Mother's Day festivities took place yesterday. We went to Grandma and Grandpa Booth's house in the afternoon for a visit and brought Grandma some roses and homemade soap. She loved the gifts, but insisted I take half of the roses home since I didn't have any.



I've always thought flowers were a waste of money... and if I had a beautiful flower bed, I would probably still feel that way, but I've loved having these around. I may have to start encouraging the flower purchases. At least once in awhile... maybe not around major holidays. Costco was a mad house yesterday. We almost didn't make it out of the floral section alive. I was sure someone was going to gouge my eyes out and nab our bouquet. It was crazy...

So, for my gift Alex gave me free reign to spend some money on baby clothes. I've been doing really well - lots of window shopping, but nothing purchased. It felt good to finally bring a few things home. Here's the loot so far...


Most of the smaller sizes (0-6 months) are from the D.I. thrift store. If the baby is anything like me, he'll bulk up fast and be super-fatty by 6 months... but then again, if he's anything like Alex he'll take a little longer. We'll just have to see.

Speaking of baby, he's been making his presence known in a major way. He's got some serious dance moves. When he's not doing the cha-cha on my bladder, he likes to practice his kung fu skills and kick the crap out of my stomach. Alex was finally able to feel the kicks yesterday. It was exciting for him. Now he pushes on my belly all the time trying to get the baby to kick back and sometimes the baby obliges. The kicks seem to be more regular these last couple days, so my chances of sleeping well are getting slimmer and slimmer. Otherwise, I feel great and can't wait to see the little guy in 5 months. Hopefully by then we'll have a name, but we'll keep you posted.

To our Moms:
We love you.
Thank you for everything you've done for us and continue to do for us now. We're so grateful to have Moms that taught us right, even though we didn't always choose to listen.

Mom, Thank you for teaching me to see other's people's point of view and to understand them, and for being patient all of those years while I was figuring things out (slowly).

Teri, Thank you for teaching Alex the importance of working hard and that women are equally as important as men (even though "girls don't get to do anything cool").

We hope you both have a wonderful Mother's Day!!

2 comments:

Kathy M. said...

Seeing those little clothes all spread out makes it more real, doesn't it? Just waiting for a warm bundle of sweetness to fill them up.

I'm not sure I get credit for patience, but endurance, maybe. ;-) Enjoy this free pass Mother's Day when you just have to incubate to qualify for perks. There will be a lot of days when you don't feel appreciated for what you are doing and the tasks at hand threaten your sanity... but it really is all worth it and probably the most important thing you will do in this world. Certainly the greatest growth experience, next to being married.

Diane got a free cake at the bakery and brought it home. Michael and Amber and kids might cycle back here later and help us eat it. It's a chocolate cake shaped like a heart with beautiful roses on the top. I think there's some potato salad that made it into the fridge also... maybe should go sample that. :-)

Hope you are enjoying a nice movie break... will talk to you later!

Love, Mom

Maren O_o said...

Thanks, we think you guys turned out pretty good too. love Teri